- Make a slipknot and insert the crochet hook into the loop.
- Chain 25.
- Turn the chain and double crochet back across it beginning in the 4th chain from the crochet hook. When this step is finished, the foundation row of the oval will be 8 inches wide.
- Do not turn the work. Continue to double crochet around the side and bottom of the foundation row. Double crochet around the outside of the oval, never turning the piece.
- When double crocheting around the sides of the oval, "increase stitch" three times on each side. To increase stitch, double crochet twice in a single stitch of the previous row. The result is two double crochets occurring in one double crochet from the last row. Increase stitching allows the oval to expand and grow in stitches as the oval gets bigger. It will also keep the oval from bunching and gathering.
- After you reach the fifth round of the oval, increase stitch 6 times around each edge of the oval, for a total of 12 increase stitches in each round. Spread the oval out occasionally on a flat surface to ensure it is not gathering.
Thursday, February 20, 2014
How to Crochet an Oval Rug
Posted by HSSchulte at 2:04 PM